HOMELESSNESS AND HOUSING
The County of Ventura, with guidance from the California Department of Public Health, has been taking steps to slow the spread of COVID-19 among vulnerable populations in the community. The County has secured housing options at local motels in the cities of Ventura, Oxnard and Newbury Park. County agencies are coordinating to provide transportation, medical and mental health care, nutritional needs and on-site security. Referrals are made by community homeless service providers including nonprofit organizations, county service providers, city partners and homeless liaison officers. Persons are medically evaluated before they are cleared for intake.
“We are trying to place persons in a location near their home community whenever possible and commit to helping individuals reconnect with that community when it is safe to do so,” said Tara Carruth, Program Manager with the Ventura County Continuum of Care. “Facilities of at-risk individuals are supported by the Human Services Agency as the site lead, meals are provided and there is 24/7 security on-site. Our County Health Care Agency partners including Whole Person Care and the Healthcare for the Homeless and Back Pack Medicine team are also assisting to support these efforts. We are encouraging nonprofit partners and other community partners to also support their clients if placed in these locations while practicing safe social distancing,” she added.
The Backpack Medicine team is providing rapid response in the community to encampments and other unsheltered locations for anyone who may be experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. The Backpack Medicine team may be reached at 805-515-6940 between the hours of 8-5, Monday through Friday.
Homeless Services are considered essential services. Persons wanting to seek connection to a service provider may call 2-1-1 for linkage to programs and services.
- Mortgage and housing assistance during the coronavirus national emergency
- Eviction Prevention Resolution (Ordinance 4563)
- Legal Assistance and Services, Housing Rights
- Preventing and Managing the Spread of Infectious Disease for People Experiencing Homelessness (PDF)
- Preventing and Managing the Spread of Infectious Disease within Shelters (PDF)
- Preventing and Managing the Spread of Infectious Disease within Encampments (PDF)
- After Hours Urgent Care
- Symptoms of Coronavirus Disease 2019, Backpack Medicine Phone Number: (805) 652-6694
- Mercy House: Situational Response Plan Packet
- Cal OES – Governor Newsom Takes Emergency Actions to Protect Homeless
- Resources for Homeless during COVID-19
- Recommended Strategic Approaches
- California Department of Public Health Guidance